Thursday, September 16, 2010

My trip to Colorado

First Class Flight
 
I flew first class for the first time ever! Man, what an experience! My own little space with a ton of storage space, power outlets, a bed, fluffy pillows and blankets, and my own choice of movie –too bad it was only an hour and a half long flight! Free alcohol, chilled silverware, chicken Panini, sesame ginger salad, sun chips, and warm baked chocolate chip cookies! They had ninja-fast servers; as soon as I put my napkin/bag/empty glass down, they were there to collect it!



 Christine’s Reception for graduation

The whole reason why I flew out to CO was to celebrate my little sister’s recent graduation from SMU. She got her Master’s degree in EMIS (Master of Science in Information Engineering and Management), and my family decided to throw a big party with 30 or so of our close friends and family at our Country Club at Flying Horse. Another big occasion was meeting Callum’s (Christine’s boyfriend) parents for the first time. Our parents got along famously, and I think they found a new couple to join them for their next Vegas trip! The limo ride over to Flying Horse was fun, the party was fabulous with tasty food (filet mignon, wine, flourless chocolate torte), the champagne toast was emotional, and true to form, my dad gifted us with another book we “had to read”. The after party back at the house felt like old times –drinking, pool, darts, and cracking up over tales of growing up in sunny So Cal.

The next day we went back to Flying Horse –the guys went golfing, and us girls enjoyed a full body massage. Afterward we met back up at the clubhouse for bloody marys and their famous eggs benedict. Then we went back home and got ready for the big BBQ. As usual, I was in charge of the table display area, and I think it turned out well! I thought it was hilarious that 3 different people brought guacamole, but can you ever have TOO MUCH guacamole? We all had a lot of fun and took some great pictures! I had a blast hanging out with old family friends like the Hermans, Salvesons, Cirillos, and new friends like the DeMarcos and Molloys! I also learned that my sister and I have a shared curiosity for the taste of dolphin –maybe for Thanksgiving? ☺

Our last night together was nice –my mom made chicken parmesan, and crème brule! And I tried my hand at creating a floral centerpiece –I think I’m improving! And my mom also made a big breakfast the next morning before we all headed our separate ways –french toast casserole with cinnamon apples! New recipe, but a definite success!


Dinner with friends

It was so great seeing all of my friends while I was back in CO! Lunch with Sara and Justin at PF Changs, drinks with Holly, dinner with Amber, Kevin, John, and Jesse at BD’s Mongolian BBQ, and lunch with Jesse at Good Times, while I was in Denver. Dinner at Colorado Mountain Brewery with Jackie, Beth, Andrew, Erik, Shanthi, Cameron, and Emily, and matte and Dutch Blitz with Jackie, Beth and Laura, while I was in Colorado Springs! It’s so cool to see how everyone has changed since high school/college! And congrats to Laura, who informed me that she’s pregnant again!!! I can’t wait to meet him/her when I come visit next year! I love and miss all of you guys, and you’re welcome to crash at my place if you want to come visit me in CA!


Camera Fiasco

A week before I flew out to CO, I had ordered a new HD Camcorder (with lenses, lights, filters, cables, and other goodies), so I could film my big family celebration for my sister –my grandparents couldn’t make it, so I was in charge of making the dvd to send to them. Nervous that it wasn’t going to get here on time before I flew out, I paid to overnight it to my apartment. It never showed, so I was on the phone, on my way to the airport, and told them to recall it and reroute it overnight to C Springs, to my parents’ house. It never showed. I maxed out their voicemail box trying to reach the company for the next few days until they finally answer the day before I fly back to CA. They couldn’t find where my camera was, so they put in another recall and overnight-ed it BACK to CA. What a pain in the ass! And a little too late –I had to use a friend’s camera, and it decided to quit working when I tried to transfer the tapes to my laptop. So now I need to find a post house to transfer 3 HD mini DV tapes. UGH!



Flight home

I felt a little sad to leave, but 7 days in CO was more than enough time for me! I missed sunny, happy Pasadena –I just wished I could bring my friends and family out here! I flew back on first class, but I didn’t have the same experience. The seats were a little bigger then coach, no fluffy pillows or blankets, no choice of movie (although watching Sports Jobs with Junior Seay learning about what a Dodger bat boy does, was pretty entertaining!), and no power outlets. ☹ However, I did get free alcohol, great food (cheese ravioli, salad, toasted nuts, and a warm cookie), and a great view of LA as I flew in.  I’m glad to be back!



And look what was waiting for me the next day! ☺ Now I get to harass them until I get the money I spent on shipping back.

No comments:

Post a Comment