Monday, January 31, 2011

4 Reasons That I am NOT a Fan of Handheld Gaming

Hand held gaming systems in general are such a disappointment.  I don’t get it…..I really don’t; WHY is portable gaming so damn popular?  I’m not talking about killing time playing “snake” on your cell phone.  Hey all of you Game Boy and PSP gamers –why the obsession?
Wanna-Be, dumbed-down versions of console games on a tiny screen?  Um, WHY?
I’m confused about the attraction to sad, half-assed versions of the real games; aka the “big boy pants” console games.  In recent years the quality has shown vast improvement in the power and graphics quality, but I’m still not impressed.  I’m referring to FPS or role-playing games; not simpletons like Sudoku, Tetris or even Angry Birds.  Why would Resistance or Uncharted be so enticing on such a small screen that can be easily smudged with fingerprints?  Yet surveys show a 50/50 popularity split between portable and non-portable consoles.  I’m the only one confused by those numbers?  Let’s just say that I’m a firm believer that SIZE MATTERS!

Poor audio AND screen reflectivity?
I always seem to run into screen glare/reflectivity issues and really sad audio quality with my handhelds and my phone (unless I want to completely shut myself off from the world and wear my huge noise cancelling headphones).  It’s very frustrating for me to game in an environment that I can’t control.  I've only used my Game Boy Advance SP if I'm at the airport, but I tire of it easily because I’m too distracted by my surroundings.

Constant interruptions, lack of immersion and just another excuse to be anti-social.
Why are we so drawn to “checking out” with video games while we’re away from home?  I go home if I want to escape from reality and wind down with a good game, but when I venture outside of my “cave”, I try to be as aware of my surroundings as possible and make real connections.  My video games should be played on my big HD flat screen with surround sound while sitting on my comfy couch with at least 6 hours allotted so I don't get constantly interrupted.  I understand the practicality of killing time if you’re stuck somewhere for a few hours or even waiting in line at Starbucks for a few minutes, but I’m not going to take it as seriously.

Seduction FAIL thus far!
Come on Nintendo and Sony –seduce me!  Take me out to dinner, impress me with your huge…..um, car.  Make me NEED to have you right here, right now!  Handhelds pretty much just cater to frequent fliers, kids, and college students stuck on campus.  Why do I need one?  I assume that these companies are constantly exploring new ideas to entice a larger audience, but they haven’t been very convincing.  The hype generated from the announcements for even more complex console games being released for our handhelds will continue to confuse me.  In fact, I DARE Sony and Nintendo to make a believer out of me at E3 this year.  Will 2011 be the year that I actually buy my first handheld console since 2004?

No comments:

Post a Comment